Armidale4 Burgess Street

  • 4
  • 2
  • 1


Located in elevated position of south Armidale in blue chip residential area is this beautifully restored historic home built c.1882. It is set on approximately 1,275 m2 and features three bedrooms plus a spacious home office or fourth bedroom, master bedroom with ensuite, living room reverse cycle air-conditioning, kitchen with plenty of cupboards and double sink, sunny front verandah with views to Mt Duval and family room with polished timber floor. The home has many original features including use of recycled timbers and quality fixtures & fittings throughout. Detached from the home is a timber carport and shed.

The Burgesses 1 882-1924

Walter Burgess was born on board ship in the Bay of Biscay on his parents' way to Australia in 1849. After living with his parents in Maitland, Walter came to Armidale about 1869. He married Elizabeth Dann in Maitland in 1871, and they came to Armidale. They lived at 273 Rusden Street, bringing up their first four children there.
In 1880 Walter bought four acres on Soudan Hill for eight pounds,five shillings. The house at 4 Burgess Street was built by 1882 when the family moved in, and four more children were born.
It is believed that Walter sold rabbit skins from the old slab shed (still existing) on Burgess Street, and ran a Wool and Hide business on the corner of Rusden and Dangar from 1906,with his three sons.
Walter died in 1918 and Elizabeth in 1924 and,in accordance with Walter's will,the property was sold after Elizabeth's death. The house may have been bought by Mrs Parnell.
The Bakers 1 934-2000

Jacky Baker and his father bought the property from Mrs Parnell in 1934, having left Sydney. Jacky had been born in Sydney in 1911and became a jockey. He was famous for riding Phar Lap to his maiden win in 1929, as an apprentice. Jacky had been Sydney's top apprentice in the 1928/29 season. In 1952 he retired from his career as a moderately successful and highly respected jockey in Armidale and the North West. He then took out a trainer's licence until he retired in 1965. He died in 2000.
About 1933 Jacky and his father set up the beginnings of the 'Rosehill' training stables with Jacky as the stable jockey and his father as the trainer. They also ran the place as a small farm. During this time a number of buildings were built,,including stables, cow-bails, pig pen,and tool shed, together with two rows of stables,a breaking-in yard, and a two-bedroom outbuilding. There was a large 19th century shed built of poles with vertical slab walls and corrugated iron roof; it burnt down in the 1960's.
Alterations to the house included renovations in the late 1940's to the SW wing (originally a store room/lumber room) and in 1961the NE corner Sunroom was built and the front two rooms converted into the main Living Room. The west French doors were installed after 1963. It is not known when the SE corner main room was built, but probably late 19th century.
The Deakins 2002-

In 2002 Barbara and Tony Deakin bought the property. It was in need of repair and renovation and repainting, although most of it was still in its original form and with original fittings, including doors and hardware.
The Deakins demolished old covered ways on the south side of the house and constructed the sunny Family Room (thereby connecting the previous free-standi ng SE bedroom to the house), renovated the Bathroom and Laundry, built the new en-suite Shower Room and balcony and renovated the Kitchen. All the old 'fibro' (asbestos cement) wall linings were removed and replaced with new fibre­ cement sheets, with the original battens re-fixed. All the ceilings (except the Sunroom) were insulated as were external walls from which asbestos cement was removed. The original doors (and hardware) and all the original timber wall and ceiling linings remain. Alf the Family Room timber framing and flooring was recovered from demolition of old outbuildings. New reverse cycle air-conditioning and new hot water unit were installed. The whole house was repainted internally and externally (in the original colours) and the shed repainted externally. The character of the house remains as it was built.

Contact Agent

Gail Schaefer

Gail Schaefer

02 6772 1200

0412 410 949

SMS Gail

SOLD - $369,000

Property Information

  • Street Address 4 Burgess Street
  • Type Residential Sale
  • Price SOLD
  • State NSW
  • Town Village New England - North West
  • Suburb Armidale
  • Postcode 2350
  • Property Type House
  • Land Size 1275 m2

Location Map